Saturday, September 20, 2014

True Craftsmanship


Retrieved from: http://buruburu.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/290x290.jpg

"No amount of training can replace what your personal devotional and worship time contributes to the counseling relationship" (Thomas & Sosin, 2011, p. 133) What an awesome quotation, especially that it comes from a textbook.

Reading through the last three chapters, we learned about the basic counselings skills and why they are important to utilize. Many examples are given of the "dos and don'ts". Even from our practice sessions alone, we should already know by now that developing and utilizing these counseling skills is no easy task, but definitely achievable.  Despite this, the authors quote from the beginning of chapter 6 that no amount of training is replaceable to time spent with God. Hmm,  I wonder why this is?

Perhaps the authors realize that even if a counselor becomes a 'master' in all of the counseling skill sets used in counseling, that no amount of training or practice can replace or imitate the real and genuine effect that works through a person from the inside out when they spend time with God. Does this mean we should focus only on God and not on our textbooks or practice sessions? Certainly not. I believe the wise thing to do would be to acknowledge that the skills we are developing are there to help us utilize our Christ-like character within the therapeutic relationship, thus to ensure a counseling experience for the counselee unlike any other!

On a last note, the above photo is very real and was taken from Vaadhoo island (Not by me, unfortunately. Not yet anyways). For me, personally, the scene depicts once more what an awesome creator our God is. The picture makes me reflect how marvelous and beautiful He is, and that by His hands there are no mistakes or room for error. Regardless how we look at ourselves, we are wonderfully made in the eyes of God. How many people come into counseling offices thinking themselves of little worth? Hopefully, in the course of our lives, we can reveal to them their true worth-through the eyes of God.

Thomas, J. C., & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. B&H Publishing


2 comments:

  1. Hey Kenny, thanks so much for you post. It was definitely very encouraging. That quote really stuck out to me. It is a great reminder of how blessed we are to attend a university where Christ is the center and foundation of our education. I think it is especially important to note this within our chosen career. Helping people is no easy task. I am reminded time and time again that I am not able to accomplish anything apart from Christ. I am not qualified at all, yet He has chosen to fill me up with Himself and pour me out for others. It definitely is humbling to be used by God. What an amazing opportunity to help others find this wholeness in Christ through our profession. We are very fortunate indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny, I as well enjoyed that quote. There is so much truth in it. I feel that although we are learning so much information to help counsel our client it really comes down to our spiritual awareness and growth. I love the way you connected the information from the textbooks to what God implements through us. I am guilty of trying to follow the textbook teachings word for word and often get lost in translation. As you stated, I need to incorporate my teachings alone with that God is trying to convey through me. Thank you so much for your post! I enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete