Tuesday, September 23, 2014


The Road

road : asphalt road and dramatic sunset over it

Asphalt road and dramatic sunset over it

Photographer: Mazuryk Mykola

“A divine calling” are the exact words that come to my mind when I think of why I have decided to pursue counseling as my career path. When I sit and pounder “why counseling” I am unable to come up with concrete reasoning as to why this profession is right for me other than simply saying “I was called by the lord”. The lord gave me direction and blessed me with a heart that will allow me to be an affective counselor.(Thomas & Sosin, 2011) extensively discusses the heart and its effects on attitude, interpersonal style, baggage, emotions, and personal history.

(Thomas & Sosin, 2011,pg.91)has a section entitled the heart: being a whole person, in this section it is stated that by the very nature of counseling it is impossible to contain the counselors emotional life, spiritual life, experiences, values ,and attitudes. Any unresolved issues in your life will come to light in the context of the counseling relationship, creating an interpersonal nightmare. Of all the information given in the three chapters this brief statement made me think about myself the most. Throughout CMHC 505 and other counseling classes I have taken thus far. Each professor has stated that it can be extremely beneficial for counseling students and counselor to seek counseling for them self. Not only to understand the counseling process from the clients perspective; but to also allow one to confront internal struggles they may be knowingly or unknowingly battling. Though I have heard it before Looking at the previous statement in writing and being able to read it a few times allowed me to reflect on how unresolved personal issues have affected my personal life and have affected the way I counsel. Because of hurriedness I do not take the time to seek counseling for myself however in order for me to have the heart needed for effective counseling. I must, as the book states, “possess the greatest level of spiritual and psychological health possible.

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I can truly resonate with how counselling encourages self awareness.I have learned alot already about myself from the practice counselling sessions that we have been having. I have gained personal insight about who i am and mostly the values that i strongly believe in .I often tend to reflect and think of ways that i could help myself change inorder to become a bettter person. I certainly think that the process of self awareness helps the counselor gain a concious understanding of themselves and underlying issues as you mentioned above that may affect the counselling relationship.

    ReplyDelete