Monday, September 22, 2014

Being a whole person

Photo taken by Meagan Eckhardt
 

One aspect that resonated with me from the reading this past couple weeks is the concept of "Being a whole person." In the book The Journey Begins by John Thomas, and Lisa Sosin the authors discuss the concept of being a whole person, and how that benefits not only the counseling session but the individual counselor. So what does it mean to be a whole person? When I think of my entirety I think of my spirituality, my physical body, and my psychological makeup. We as counselors must be spiritually healthy, and psychologically healthy in order to treat those that are mentally and spiritually unhealthy (Thomas & Sosin, 2011). The term "health" cannot be compartmentalized in the life of any individual, but especially in the life of a counselor. If a counselors is spiritually unhealthy, it will in turn affect their psychological health, and visa versa. It is not only recommended but necessary that counselors assess and examine their lives, and grow in areas of weakness. This can be done by developing mentoring-like relationships with older wiser counselors, or any individual who can be trusted to walk through life with you. A Christian counselor must realize their dependence on the Body of Christ, and not view themselves as a separate entity not in need of help. Personally I have gleaned so much through class, and my professors, but have learned to practically apply what I am learning through a mentor-like relationship with a woman at my church. Her friendship has taught me so much about my weaknesses, and through those self-revelations she has walked me through the process of growing. I have found that as I have grown with her I am able to help others in a more effective way. Finally, I realize I will never “arrive” or be lacking of errors, but I believe there is power in a counselor understanding themselves, their weaknesses, strengths, hurts, and passions, Through this understanding counselors are able to use the wholeness understanding of themselves to accurately administer healing and help to other broken individuals.


Thomas, J., & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, Tenn.: B & H Publishing Group.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. A commonality between most posts this week is that each of them closely relate to being a whole person. This commonality should rather further stress to the reader the importance of being whole and the direct link that it has to being a competent counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As counselors in training reaching that wholeness is of great importance. It is indeed significant that as mental health helper we are found in a healthy state, so we can provide assistance to others in need. It is almost illogical to expect effective and positive outcome from two unhealthy individual trying to help each other out. Job well done with you post!

    ReplyDelete