Sunday, September 21, 2014

HE ORDERS MY STEPS




Retrieved from : http://www.susanscoffeebreak.com/2014/06/17/get-down-get-back-up/

“The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives” (Psalms 37:23, NLT)
It’s so amazing how God can order your steps. This verse gives me hope that everything that I am doing now is ordered by God. As I was going through my undergrad and looking for a place to do my internship, it never occurred to me that it would end me where I am today. I look back now and all I can say is “God ordered my steps”.
Whiles reading chapter 5, I couldn't help but cast my mind back on what I was doing wrong back then as a milieu counselor and also a substance abuse counselor.  SOLER was something I was not practicing as I look back now. For instance, there was a desk between my clients and me with a computer and other files. I was always writing as the client talk or on the computer. Another thing I was doing wrong back then was that I was always sitting with my arms folded. I find myself struggling with my hands now that I am trying to learn the right way during our practice.
Sosin and Thomas stated that “the workload of a counselor can take a toll” (pg.110). Working as a substance abuse counselor can be very stressful but having poor supervision and a caseload of 60 clients could cause the counselor to be burned out and not be effective.
Chapter 6 helped me to learn the different ways of asking questions, summarizing and paraphrasing during counseling. In reading this chapter I was surprised to learn that summarizing is skill that is often neglected y counselors. Overall these three chapters have helped me to pay more attention to myself as a counselor in training and also some skills from my past experience that shouldn't be repeated. I sincerely believe that the Lord who ordered my footsteps to be in this career path will perfect me in every way to be an effective counselor. Amen!!

Reference
Thomas, J.  & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment