Sunday, September 21, 2014

Following His Direction

Following His Direction
Caption: An arrow on a road.
http://www.freeimages.com/photo/1443862?forcedownload=1
Psalm 25:4-5: Make me know Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day. (NASV)
There are many reasons why patients seek counseling, they are confused, they need help coping with a situation, or they are depressed and need help getting out depression as well as many other reasons. However, in all these various reasons, there is a common factor, they are looking for some type of direction. As Christian Counselors, we are here to help promote self-autonomy and one way we accomplish that is through the use of various skills, like paraphrasing, summary, questions, and many other techniques.  These techniques often help the counselees reflect upon the situation and find direction themselves. As Christian Counselors, we must be vigilant in our words and techniques use, as to not lead people astray. It is important to remember that we are also seeking the direction from the Lord when we are counseling, because it is not us who is giving direction, because we are just a vessel for the Lord.

            I believe that God has His own techniques when it comes to giving His children direction. It is most likely different for every person, as He tailors to our specific need.  Nonetheless, He is willing to guide us, if we just listen to His ever-calming voice, and follow the direction He puts us on. Job 6:24 it says “Teach me, and I will be silent; And show me how I have erred.”  (NASV), letting us know that if we are only open our hearts and listen, He will direct us to the path that He has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment