Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Journey is just beginning!



The journey for the baby loggerhead turtle is perilous and full of the unknown, but the ultimate goal is survival. Very much like our path to wholeness and health. Life is always full of the unknown and always full of danger. Unlike some other adventures life can also be a joyous and peaceful venture.
The counselor must be a person that can discern what the counselee is going through and provide a road to emotional health. The Christian counselor can not only shore up the foundation of a person’s life but can point them in the direction of Jesus the ultimate healer. We must have knowledge to become a competent counselor but without counselor skills and much practice it would be like knowing how to play gold without actually doing it. The saying “practice makes perfect”, is somewhat true but maybe we could say practice makes a person competent. God has brought us to this place and for me the journey has been challenging to say the least, and in some ways it really is only beginning.
When we counsel a valuable person, sometimes it may feel like we are moving as slow as a turtle. The key is we are still moving forward and that brings freedom and understanding. What the ccounselsays is important but what is not being said may even be the key to why this individual is struggling. Molded in God’s image means we are a relational people. (Therapeutic Expedition, 2011). The competent counselor will be an individual that is an expert in conversation both verbal and non-verbal.
Counselors help our counselee’s to heal from the wounds of the past. Learning why they are here and their purpose can make all the difference in the world, in learning truth versus expectations of others. Open ended and closed questions are very useful in the process of discovery. Direct and indirect questions can keep the conversation moving forward and that after all does lead to truth and understanding. Learning skills to help is why we are in school and are very important skills in the process of discovering the truth.

Reference
Thomas, J., & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, Tenn.: B & H Publishing Group.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Keith,
    I really enjoyed your blog! The idea behind the turtle’s goal being to survive was a great comparison to the counselee’s experience in counseling. I never pictured it that way before, but at times I am sure it does seem like one is just trying to survive. I also like that you applied the importance and relevance of non-verbal communication between the client and counselor. If a client is uncomfortable verbally expressing one’s feelings, non-verbal communication may be a good way to gather information on his or her true feelings on a topic or situation. I like that you added some of the techniques mentioned throughout our book that are used to help bring out the clients emotions and thoughts.
    Good job!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Camille. There are so many in the class, I almost wish I could see you to connect the face with the name. Your going to be a wonderful and gifted counselor.

      Delete
  2. Dear Keith,
    What a refreshing metaphor for the process of counseling and the process for the counselee. I recall all of the documentaries I have seen about turtles and the journey they too really endure. Visuals such as this are so helpful, and your clients will be blessed with such a natural insight into applying them. You mentioned that perhaps we can consider “practice makes us competent.” This struck me, because naturally wanting to achieve can so easily ensnare our motivations as emerging counselors. However, to acknowledge that we will not be perfect humbles us and allows us to follow the advice of the authors and be authentic with ourselves. Practice reveals the weaknesses and the strengths, and it has been freeing to share in that new personal wisdom with my fellow classmates. Thank you Keith for such insight, it was a pleasure to read your blog and be challenged not to seek perfection, rather to value competence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the thoughts you presented. I can completely identify with you in regards to feeling like growth is so slow. However, you are so right. We need to hold joyfully to the truth that growth is growth, even if it is a slow process. You are so right. Jesus is the ultimate healer. I know that thee only way I will be an effective counselor is if I rely on huge Holy Spirit. Ultimately, thee only good in me in Christ. Every day I yearn to have less of me and more of Him in my life. Genuinely thee only reason I am pursuing this program is because I know that He has led me to it. There are so many other areas in life that i am passionate about and am good at... And of course The Lord calls me to do something that I am fully aware of my inadequacies. In all honesty... If I were trying to do things my way I would be elsewhere. This journey has been so challenging. I face a battle within me each day to press forward. Following the Lord's direction has been the hardest thing for me. It has forced me to rely fully on The Lord in order to succeed... on a whole new level. On a daily basis I have been challenged to regulate my motions in a way that allows me to move forward. I often struggle so terribly that I question my calling (even though the Lord has directed every step). I constantly have of I remind myself of how far god has brought me and his continually I provisions. I have had to force myself to press on for the sake of honoring my God. I know The Lord has allowed me to go through trials in preparation to work alongside his people. I am comforted in knowing that He is the great counselor, all we'd need to be is willing.
    Blessings,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete