Monday, September 1, 2014

Taking a Step Away from Myself


 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by Me." John 14:6, KJV

© 2014 Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Retrieved from: http://htlutheran.com/about-us/mission-vision-faith

The “therapeutic expedition,” as described in depth by Thomas and Sosin (2011), requires one to step away from herself and see future clients from the LORD’s perspective. I can learn from the example of the “helping house,” mentioned in chapter 1, that a foundation built on biblical truth (my worldview) will ensure that I always have God’s truth to return to when my perspective as a counselor becomes clouded (Thomas and Sosin, 2011).

Understanding why clients may choose counseling also helps me maintain focus on the counseling process. Clients come because in a most general sense they need help, as is described in depth in chapter two. That need of the client speaks to me as a Christian, because I believe that where there is a need God provides a way. The value of counseling is that it is a way for God to provide for clients’ needs. John 14:6 reminds me though, that only Christ can be “the way, the truth, and the life” for any client.  I have to remember as an aspiring counselor that I am not the way of salvation and ultimate healing for my clients.

I reflect on chapter three from the perspective of counseling as the client’s savior. Seeing myself as the savior, lends me to consider my needs above the client, which seems to be the common denominator of countertransference. Self-awareness then becomes a large part of serving to protect the client. I as a counselor will need to remain aware of my own spiritual and emotional deficits. I can see where neglecting self-awareness may cause the counseling roles to reverse. The client then serves my needs instead of the other way around.  Remembering to step away from myself, I understand that clients’ safety and ultimate healing will always be in Christ. 

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, yes...self-awareness is paramount to the journey of becoming. As we become aware of our needs, and we are committed to attend to our clients, we also become willing to address our needs in a context other than working with clients, allowing our self-awareness to lead us to self-care.

    ReplyDelete