Monday, September 1, 2014

Having Courage

Having Courage


“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9, NKJV

Caption: Homemade archery target in friend's backyard
Photographer: Myself

No one person is perfect, including counselors.  Romans 3:23 (NKJV) says “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” which means that we are all fallible and vulnerable to sin and mistakes in the counseling office.  These mistakes can lead to the client being harmed, whether intentionally or accidentally.  This gives me pause when I think about the potential I have for doing harm when I read chapter three, especially the passage that says, “It is sad when any counselor is taken before a licensure board or before a church body because of unethical practice.  It is especially grievous, however, when it is a Christian counselor.  We grieve the Holy Spirit when we sin (Eph 4:30), and we harm the reputation of Christ” (Thomas & Sosin, 2011, p. 75).  This reminder of what is at stake gives me pause at times, as it reveals how much pressure we as Christian counselors are under not only to care for our clients but also to keep them from harm.  The worry that I could make a mistake can be overwhelming when I sit in the chair, leading me to adopt a spirit of timidity.  As I grow as a counselor, I need to remember the words of Joshua 1:9 as it says that God will be with me every step of the way, and when He is with me, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13, NKJV).  So long as I keep myself educated in my profession and my focus on Christ, I will be an excellent counselor.

References


Thomas, J. C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic Expedition. Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group.

2 comments:

  1. I would even go one step further to say "especially counselors" And I'm not saying this in a cynical manner, but rather recalling the findings of some of the recent poles that identified that often people who go into the helping profession, do so because they are aware of something unsettled within themselves. So yes, the humility to accept that one will make mistakes but not let that fear become paralyzing could be a great asset in one's journey of becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can truly identify with the fear and anxiety of causing harm to clients. On the other hand,how wonderful and reassuring is it for Christians to know that there is someone who protects us.Philippians 4:6-7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

    ReplyDelete