Monday, September 22, 2014

Responsibility For vs. Responsibility To



 "Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion” Romans 12:16, NKJV








© 2014 Bright Horizons Family Solutions LLC
Retrieved from: http://www.brighthorizons.com/careers/social-responsibility





            As a counselor responsibility for my choices and actions lies squarely on my shoulders. In the light of this fact, I enjoy taking into account how I can be responsible for myself within and outside of the counselor role. Thomas and Sosin (2011) covered in depth the “Person of the Counselor” in chapter four of the text (p. 82).  The authors addressed poignantly the need for one to be honest with herself about short comings and talents, sins and past experiences, self-efficacy and humility.  I realize that I am responsible for being aware of and addressing the so called skeletons in my closet. Before expecting others to open up in counseling I too need to be vulnerable.  The phrase “practice what you preach” comes to mind when analyzing responsibility for myself. Recognizing the need to be responsible for myself, I then read chapter’s five through six in the light of being responsible to the client.

            Skills to be learned and practiced in the counseling setting are an important way of equipping the client for personal growth.  Creating a “safe haven” begins that process (Thomas & Sosin, 2011, p. 133).  Being hospitable in the way I maintain the counseling space is a basic way to be responsible to the client. Acknowledging internally the effort client’s make in seeking counseling is another way to care for the client. Flowing through that established safe haven and consequent rapport are the techniques employed to explore the client’s problem(s). Questioning, reflecting, paraphrasing, and summary all have a depth of purpose. To maintain focus on the purpose of techniques and responsibility I have to clients I like to reflect on the Scripture that reads: “Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion” (Romans 12:16, New King James Version)
References:


Thomas, J. C., & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. B&H Publishing.



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post Rachel. I definitely think that you are right in that we need to "practice what we preach". It is easy to forget that putting things into practice is much more difficult than actually verbalizing it. We are expecting our clients to be open and willing to disclose personal information and being, how you describe it, "vulnerable", while we, as counselors may not put ourselves in a position of vulnerability. I think this is why it is a great thing if a student who is pursuing counseling also goes to counseling to see how it feels to be on the other side of the wall.

    ReplyDelete