Monday, October 13, 2014

The Guide who guides the guide

 
Retrieved from: popdose.com/wp-content/uploads/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-505742c4e0b71.jpg
Chapter 9 of the Sosin textbook really highlights the degree of care of managing the counseling session, especially from the Christian perspective. I love the idea of the counselor representing the three heavenly offices of Christ: The prophet, the priest and the shepherd.
 
I am reminded of Elijah, Isaiah and Jeremiah, the prophets of the Old Testament who were chosen by God to offer what was often times a message that confronted, warned and caused discomfort for the Jews. Yet, the deep heart of their message was always a call of love from God. Attempting to pull the Jews from their rebelling hearts and back into His presence. The priest, who takes care of those under their care, guiding them and providing comfort for those who sometimes had no one else to turn to. A priest is symbolic of the God they serve. And my personal favorite -the king- the leader who leads the way. A king's purpose is to raise morale, provide system, and reveal a pathway to a victorious future.
 
As counselors, we should not take on the king role in terms of governing or making decisions for the client. Instead I believe it is imperative to be as passionate as a prophet, caring as a priest and as powerful a driving force for the client in guiding them towards a more healthy, fruitful, acceptable way of living.
 
Final point I'd like to mention is my interest in the AIM model (Found on page 307). I have not grasped the model fully, but knowing its foundation and implications for Christian counselors is quite encouraging. I'm surprised it is not included in any of the texts for the 506 class.
 
P.S. Relating the Hitchiker's guide  photo to counseling, I would definitely hope throughout the course of my career that God will give me the strength and wisdom to guide my clients down roads unimaginable to them (In a sense where they know, sense and meet God). Of course, only way possible of achieving that is allowing the Guide to guide me, the guide.
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Kenny, it was nice reading about your post this week. i like the fact that you used the analogy of the prophet and the counselor. i never thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense. And as you mentioned, a leader leads the way. To me a counselor is suppose to be the leader who leads the counselee in making the right decision. In my post i also mentioned the AIM model.I thought it was interesting that you also mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete