Thursday, October 9, 2014

Giving Effective FEEDBACK

Caption: Feedback on a undergrad paper.  Photo by me.

There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, But the tongue of the wise promotes health.
Proverbs 12:18

Giving Effective FEEDBACK

            When it comes to counseling, one of the first things students learn is how to listen, but now it is time for my fellow counselors and me to learn how to talk.  This is an area in which I need to become comfortable because I have not been good at talking; I mostly just listen.  One of the aspects of counseling that Thomas and Sosin (2011) discuss is how to give feedback.  Their acronym is very useful for remembering how to give feedback, and I will have to keep much of it in mind.  I am already good at being cautious, careful, and calm, but I do need to learn the rest.  It never occurred to me that others have the same negative feelings that I do when receiving feedback, and I will need to be sensitive to this.  Additionally, I will need to humble myself to prepare for my feedback to be rejected by clients; it is easy to feel insulted when my words are pushed aside.  Another thing I need to learn is not to leave the client just with my words but to encourage interaction with and digestion of my feedback, as it can help my clients better examine themselves based on my feedback.  I think the most difficult part for me to learn is being direct.  I struggle with being concise when I talk, often giving too many words to explain something simple, and I often tread too cautiously and display a lack of confidence in my words.  I will need to keep this in mind as I counsel, so that not only will my clients feel listened to but also grow with any useful feedback I can provide.

1 comment:

  1. Chris,
    Your post offered me new insight. I appreciated that you addressed the aspect of clients needing time to not only hear a counselor's feedback, but also to digest these comments. I think I often forget that the client has a right to oppose my opinion. Although counselors are given power during sessions, they are not automatically wisdom givers. It takes time for a client to view a counselor as wise and respect their feedback. I need to work on not getting offended when others do not want to heed my advice and give them the time to reflect to make judgements of their own.

    ReplyDelete