Monday, October 20, 2014

Confrontation Through the eyes of being confronted

Over the past two weeks of reading the topic of confrontation really stood out to me. Through the reading I was able to understand the multifaceted aspect that confrontation has in becoming a counselor. When the term “confrontation” first came up I thought it to be an action a counselor or counseling student used to “call the client out,” but sense then my perception has changed. A counselor must be able to handle confrontation in a constructive way in order to deliver confrontation in a constructive way.
         First, as a counseling student I am able to see first hand the benefit of constructive criticism from my peers. In this current class I am required to be evaluated by my peers as well as evaluate my peers. Dr. Knight refers to confrontation as “challenging while supporting.”  As an emerging counselor it is important to be able to receive feedback as well as give feedback to others. The practice of evaluating and being evaluated by my peers allows me to practically understand and apply beneficial confrontation. Through this lesson I am able to see ways that my confrontation skill administer grace and understanding to the hearer, and areas for improvement. When receiving confrontation by my peers I am able to put myself in the clients shoes as I process confrontation in order to produce positive change in my lifestyle. The process of being open to confrontation as an emerging counselor enables me to modify my confrontation skills as I both administer and receive such criticism in a learning environment. 
         Second, after a counselor has learned to receive confrontation, and has received adequate amount of confrontation they are able to use those skills in a client session. Confronting clients requires an ample amount of support from the counselor, but also a sense of challenging. As counselors it is important that we use confrontation to foster further client growth. Confrontation can be done through stating the consistency through reflection of the inconsistencies in the counseling process.  It is pertinent that counselors practice self awareness so that they are not seeking to be understood in the counseling process, but instead using it to seek to understand the client.
         Sometimes confrontation is viewed as strictly from client to counselor, but as counselors we must subject ourselves to confrontation. When a counselor subjects himself or herself to confrontation they will enable themselves to adequately administer confrontation to the client.

Thomas, J. C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Meagan,

    Thank you for your post. I have also been learning about what it means to receive confrontation as the counselor. I think it is very important for counselors to be aware of both how they give and receive instruction. It is always difficult at first for me to accept someone who is disagreeing with me. After taking a step back from the situation I have more time to reflect and evaluate the feedback. Most often I am able to see the change that is needing to be made. This helps me grow and I am ultimately very thankful for the input given from others.

    ReplyDelete