Saturday, October 18, 2014

Silence



Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Photographer: Myself
This journey of becoming a counselor has included learning to use many skills that are naturally uncomfortable, however I trust this process and that they will prove to be beneficial in future practice. One such skill which has been stretching is silence. Thomas and Sosin (2011) paint a picture of the beauty of silence by referencing moments of silence in pieces of music (p. 218). It is very true that when used in this manner, silence creates anticipation for things to come and can be used in the same way within the process of counseling.

I appreciated when Thomas and Sosin (2011) wrote that many beginning counselors feel that “silence indicates their incompetence” (p. 218) when in actuality becoming comfortable with well-placed silence is a skill that develops with time and practice. Learning skills for counseling, at times, feels as though I need to re-learn basic skills of social interaction. However, avoiding the use of these skills that I am not accustomed to implementing would be a decision made from my own insecurities which is placing my own interests ahead of the clients’. We come to this profession seeking to learn how to function in the best interest of our clients and to do anything else would compromise that. It is my prayer as I continue, that I will be able to walk forward to become the best counselor possible as I walk through life as a professional helper.

Reference

Thomas, J. C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group.

3 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    Yeah I think that silence can be a very useful skill but is does feel awkward when we first start using it. When I think about silence from the counselor's perspective it seems to me that we are just creating a window of opportunity for our client to think through some of the thoughts they just had. This opportunity can be a growing experience for our clients even ourselves to examine or think through what the client really may be feeling or experiencing from previous words they have shared earlier in the session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,

    I really loved the analogy you used of the silence in music and how much of an impact is has on making the song great and powerful. Using silence is definitely something that takes much time to get used to. I also hope to try and become more comfortable with silence because it can be such a powerful tool in the counseling session. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, thank you for this post! There are times that i feel like my silence portrays a lack of understanding or relating to the client. I have found that silence is actually beneficial in the counseling session, and that when used properly can assist the client in thinking and processing thoughts. So often in life we as humans are quick to input our ideas, thinking, or opinions in moments of silence, and this should not be the case in a counseling session. Silence in the counseling session is a time for counselor and client to mentally process the discussion. Insecurity tells me that silence should be filled, but insecurity is always a lie.

    ReplyDelete