Friday, October 17, 2014

Peace Beyond Understanding


    
     When a person seeks out a counselor, the relationship brings with it a considerable amount of heavy baggage. Through this journey I have begun to understand having discernment is just not enough to help the counselee. The text covers the five different phases of the counseling process. The connection & assessment, treatment planning, the actual treatment, termination and post-treatment. It really is easier for me to learning how to be a counselor when broken down into segments. Our society seems to be isolating itself and yet we are a social people. When I take a look back to when I was younger the world was so different. There was a time when neighbor helped neighbors and how they interacted with one another was more like family than strangers. I long for those times back again when pay it forward was just a part of life, normal not abnormal. Sometimes when a person gives a little it becomes front page news, truly amazing. When Jesus walked our planet you would find him most of the time with people that loved him and those that despised him.

Mark 12:30-31New International Version (NIV)

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]There is no commandment greater than these.”
We get lost in the hustle and bustle of life and sometimes forget why we are here. When we counsel or client's pray for them first and then help them find the truth.
Thomas, J. C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group

2 comments:

  1. Keith,
    I really wish I got to experience the days you talk about. When growing up, my family had a few interactions with others. It is so true that today our society hides behind technology. Overall, technology is making us less social and less active. There are great benefits of technology, but I also see so many negatives. As the world continues to become more evil and technology is so prevelent, I can't help but wonder if the worldwide awareness has had a significant impact on the desire to seclude. I know so many people keep to themselves because they are aware of what goes on within the world and they do not want to get drug in or be a victim of destruction. I think not only do we keep too busy to look at the interests of others, but also there is also a significant amount of fear that has led to a lack of trust. For instance, as a female, if I see someone broken down along side of the road or see a hitch hiker in need... I typically pass by. I feel bad about it every time, but as a result to TV and research on the Internet I am aware of the potential dangers. Therefore, I pass by, even though I have a heart of compassion and would love to help. I will never stop to help on my own, purely out of fear. Fear that I may be put in harms way. It is a sad world we live in. I long for the world that you describe. However, as Counselors we have the opportunity to be that difference. In the lives of others!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,
    Thanks for sharing your post with us. Your statement that "our society seems to be isolating itself and yet we are a social people" is one that I have also been reflecting on lately. It is such a unique time in that so much is "shared" online and through social media yet there is such widespread feelings of isolation and loneliness. As counselors I think we will be faced with many people who are impacted by this and who have never before experienced any type of close, family-type love. This combined with the natural tendency to withdraw even more as a result of these feelings creates even more problems and people who are hurting. There is much hurt in our world today which makes this profession necessary. Blessings as you continue to learn the skills to help you walk in that.

    ReplyDelete