Sunday, October 12, 2014



Caption: Life is a Roller Coaster
Photographer: Myself

            Many times in class thus far, I have been challenged and stretched to step out of my comfort zone. While at first I felt ill-prepared to take on the task of helping pseudo-clients, I have gradually felt more comfortable and confident with the skills that I have been learning, even though I have a long way to go in order to be the best counselor possible. A great comparison for my time in this class is that of a roller coaster. There are times when I am excited about learning new things and the suspense is exhilarating, while at other points I have felt out of control and inadequate in helping others.  

            This section of the text was very practical in giving me guidance about the therapeutic process and answering questions that I had about certain skills. Chapter seven in Thomas & Sosin (2011) discussed several topics about skills that are vital in the counseling relationship including interpretation and confrontation to name a couple (p. 193-204). Interpretation was important for me to understand because there are times in the counseling sessions where I heard the client say one thing and interpreted it differently. This concept needs to be honed so that I am better able to read the client. Also, making sure that I confront discernment and in a caring manner and choosing the proper time to use this tactic will be vital for me as well (p. 202-204).
           
            While there is still a fair amount of the class to go, chapter eight dealing with termination is definitely something to be familiar with in the counseling process (Thomas & Sosin, 2011, p. 232-256). The chapter discusses how the ending of counseling can be brought up by either the client or counselor and explains reasons for each. Also, referral is always a possibility so learning the rational for referral is of utmost importance to make sure that the code of ethics is being followed.
           
            Chapter nine of Thomas and Sosin (2011), was extremely helpful showing how a normal counseling process works from start to finish. It is helpful seeing a snapshot of the key “phases” of the process which Thomas and Sosin explain (p. 267).

Thomas, J. C., & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group.


1 comment:

  1. Loved the roller-coaster picture, looks a little scary. Something like a counselee feels when seeking out a counselor for the first time. When using silence to give the client a chance to gather their thoughts and emotions can be just what's needed to keep the session moving. We must assure the client that we are their for them and desire only healing and wholeness. Helping the client to gain a vision of how life could be, is a great help in making the ultimate goal of healing.

    ReplyDelete