Monday, November 24, 2014

We Should Care





                                                            Photograph by Getty Images
                                https://www.google.com/searchpic+parentswatching+pver=Children





After reading and meditating on the material this week, I have a few comments I want to share.  First, I was excited to see the miracle question in the textbook. This is such a powerful tool to use in the counseling session and our counseling triad had already been using this technique.  Second, I agree in chapter thirteen that homework, or however the therapist wants to word it, should be implemented in the counseling, helping process. (Thomas, Sosin, 2011). Once or twice a week for a few months is not nearly as much time needed for true healing; our problems take long periods of time to develop, why do some people expect change so fast?  Hence, the use of homework should be encouraged for any kind of change and holds the client accountable.  Third, when I saw humor in the text and being permitted in counseling was a load off my mind.  I like using humor and if I could not use this in the counseling session I would not have felt totally comfortable.  There are limitations and a full understanding to when to use humor and should be acknowledged.  Next, In chapter fourteen of the text, this reader found two ideas that stood out.  The attitude of a professional is to feel honored or have a privilege of working with a client in need.  This type of work should not be a job, or chore, but an honor to serve, guide, share, listen, and love God's creation!  The rest of the chapter was "right up my alley" of interest: Spiritually and counseling.  I believe this is such a huge, foundational, area of the human condition.  Humans are physical, humans are mindful (most of the time), and humans are spirits (1Cor. 5).  Finally, the last chapter of the text went into depth about forms involved in counseling. Whether the forms fall into the area of intake, tools during the gathering of info stage, or termination/referral, they are all vital and need to be understood by by professionals and laymen in this field.  I am grateful to have taken this class.  I have grown in many areas and had to get out of my "comfort zone" several times!  Though I am switching to another degree, I feel this classes techniques can be used wherever God puts me.  God speed to my brothers and sisters in the faith, and I will continue praying and seeking people who need Jesus. 

 The King James Study Bible. (1988).  Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishing.
Thomas, John C., Sosin, Lisa (2011).   Therapeutic Expedition.  Nashville, TN: B&N Academic.  














2 comments:


  1. Dear James,

    I too was excited to see the miracle question in the book! I liked how it reiterated what Dr. Knight said in class and how it solidified some of the reasons for its influence on a client. You mentioned that people expect a quick change when it takes a long time for someone to develop a problem. I never thought about this concept before. I suppose our schemas and coping mechanisms do take time to develop and become established. Therefore, I do not know why it would be realistic for them to change quickly. I think in our culture people just want a quick fix. This may be a good point to mention to a client that is seeking a fast change. Reminding them that it is okay to take a while to have change be established in their life may help them have more patience with themselves as they strive to correct the things they wish to correct. Great post! Good luck with your new degree : )
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. James good job on the post, and I agree with your desire to touch people with the truth. I know you are going to impact many souls with the good news of why Jesus came and is coming again. The miracle question is a powerful tool that can open the door to understanding and I am going to practice this tool for future experience. Thanks for your friendship and the relationship we share.

    ReplyDelete