Sunday, November 30, 2014

Finishing the course....

The Thomas and Sossin text gave us many good examples to use in our counseling relationships.  The use of humor, metaphor, and homework can all help to personalize the session.  Because we are each unique, we can begin to develop our own personal counseling style.  I am a strong proponent of journaling, and just recently began journaling my prayers.  It has brought me comfort and insight.  It has been relatively easy to bring a spiritual dimension into our practices, since we are at a Christian university.  I think it will take quite a bit of effort and study to be able to integrate spirituality into our counseling as we go out into the world.  I have learned a bit about how attachment styles contribute to the way we later relate to others, and oftentimes, those coming to counseling may have faced difficulty in their important primary attachments and may take more time to come to trust in the counselor and counseling relationship.  We must be able to discern a person’s “God image” and their God construct.”  It is also important that we understand our own “God Image” and “God construct” and work to bring them into alignment.  I am working to experience God more fully in my personal life, and to hear his direction for myself.  I am also working to allow vision to influence my path.  Jesus said He only did what He heard and saw the Father do.    I have experienced much healing when others are in the flow of the Holy Spirit and ministering to me.  As we get close to the end of this term,   I am reminded again to take a step back and look at the whole picture.  We have many things to learn in this program, and I’m glad we will have time to continue practicing our skills and sharpening them.  I really enjoyed getting to know some of you and watching you grow.
Reference

                http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?x=oceanside_pier__san_diego__california__usa__locati
20140830123312905806780
Oceanside Pier at sunset, clouds and palm trees with a brilliant sky at dusk.
Image ID: 27610  
Location: Oceanside PierCaliforniaUSA

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more, Marcella! I too, have begun journaling much more this year than I usually have in the past. It is much more fun to journal when you do it as a written letter to God (least for me, it is).

    I am encouraged by the statements you made in regards to you seeing God working in your life and the testimony of healing he has brought you. I definitely hope that you get to experience God in greater and deeper levels as life goes on :} Your title is perfect for this journey, Marcella...and all I can really say is this: Finish well! (Hebrews 12:1)

    ReplyDelete