Monday, November 3, 2014

Bringing About Change

Bringing About Change


Caption: After a dark night, the sun arises for a new day.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven. (ESV)
Change. Change is a word that often causes anxiety in people, as the process of change is not always a smooth road to follow. However, change is an essential to human life, as things around us are always changing, such as environment, people and ourselves. Sometimes change is outside our influences, such as changes to the environment, but changes is to oneself is facilitated by one’s actions. This is not always an easy process and patients often come to counseling hoping to bring about change within them. This is why it is essential for counselors to be familiar with the process of change, not only with others but the process of change within themselves.

            As I was reading Sosin’s chapter on change, and the various stages of change, I realized that I have found myself stuck in some of these stages myself. An example would be on how I desire to live a healthier life by eating right and exercising more. I often get stuck in the middle stages of contemplation and preparation and rarely making to the action phase (Sosin, 2011). I feel as if in the path from dark to light, concerning change, many people get stuck in the middle grey areas (contemplation & preparation), and I can relate with them. I hope that my similar experiences of resistance, will allow me to better understand the client and help facilitate progress towards change. I realize that change within one’s self can be a difficult process, and I cope with change by relying on the Lord for strength. So I pray that God will guide and work through me, so I can help effectively guiding a patient through the process of change.

2 comments:

  1. Sophia,
    I think the most important thing I have leaned is that the pain of changing is no worse than the pain of staying stuck. It seems to help me propel myself into action when I really contemplate how the things I am doing contribute to the pain in my life. It then seems easier to begin acting on the changes I have decided I need to do. When I feel stuck, sometimes I just need to go back through the stages of precontemplation and contemplation, and then revise my preparation to make my original pans work better. And sometimes, I realize that there is just too much going on in my life to make any new changes. I try to be more gentle with myself at these times and realize that everything doesn't have to happen at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. I resonated with everything that you said regarding change. I personally know that changed is something that I still struggle with. Not only is the process of change complicated but the factor of dealing with the unknown is very difficult. I especially make is difficult because I like to be in control and know exactly how things are going to happen. As counselors we need to be familiar with the process of change because I clients will experience the same emotions that I have mentioned. Clients are afraid of the unknown and change so our ability to show them that this process will be positive is very important!

    ReplyDelete