Sunday, November 30, 2014

A Journey Before Me

A Journey Before Me
Caption: A pier along the Oceanside.
http://www.freeimages.com/browse.phtml?f=download&id=1445758 
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
            My goal is to become a professional counselor one day, but I realize that I still have many steps to climb before I reach my goal. I am in the beginning of stages of the molding process of becoming a professional counselor, as this is my first year of obtaining my master’s degree in counseling. I am currently at level one, as mentioned by Thomas & Sosin. I have high motivation and commitment to learning the skills necessary to become a counselor and I am currently learning how to apply them correctly in counseling (Thomas & Sosin, 2011). The journey, thus far, has been an interesting yet fulfilling start, as I am not only polishing my counseling skills for the future, but I am becoming more aware of myself and the things in my life. This journey is opening my mind to things that I did not see before, and is enabling me to clearly view just how amazing God has been throughout my life by seeing the trials He has helped me through. The journey did not start with graduate school, as God used the trials I went through as a way to mold and prepare me for this career as a counselor. I know that the journey is far from over, as there will be new trials to face in the future; however, I am confident that with the Lord’s help I will be able to conquer them and press on. I just need to keep my eyes on His light.

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (ESV)

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post Sophia, your honesty and openness is always refreshing to me. We are learning and growing and we will be allowed to touch people's lives in a way that God would gift us to do. God will guide us if we let him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Sophia. I appreciated your perspective of the journey we are all on to becoming counselors. Everything that happens in life becomes a part of our story and I love that this shapes who we are as learners, professionals and people. As we learn to walk in the awareness of the Lord's work in our lives through trials and triumphs it will have a clear impact on the counselors' we become. Thanks again for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete