Monday, November 3, 2014

The Journey of Change

Photo taken by Erica Contreras
No caption


For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven
Ecclesiastes 3:1


Although it has become easier over the year’s change has always been a very difficult thing for me. The first time I experienced a big change was when my family moved from Northern Virginia to Southern Maryland. Not all changes are scary and hard some changes happen without us even noticing however some changes will always be scary. The uncertainty of what will happen and if we will be able to succeed on the new journey is very scary to all. However as stated in our book by Thomas and Sosin (2011) change is necessary in the therapeutic process. If client come to us for help and everything stays the same then we have not been successful in our job. I think its important for therapist to remember that change does not come easy to many. Many times we do not want to change because we are scared of what is next but sometimes change is just very difficult because we have done something for so long that changing whatever it feels nearly impossible.


Change is very important but not possible without all the other parts of therapy mentioned in the chapters read. The assessment is the beginning part of the therapy where the counselor gets to know the client, this is very important to the success to the therapy and also to the change that will be done. If the counselor really takes some time to assess a client she or he would know when and how to address change with a client. After treatment planning it is important for the counselor to create a treatment plan in which the counselor takes in consideration the changes that they would like to help create in the life of the client. Change is difficult sometimes and more times then not it will take time and work for the client and also for the counselor but with good planning, God help, and time change is very possible.  

3 comments:

  1. Erica,
    It is true that people handle change differently. When I moved to North Carolina in 2011 after living my whole life in Michigan, I cried for two weeks. I knew I had heard from the Lord to make the move at my son's request, but I just couldn't see how it would benefit me too move away from everything and everyone I knew and go to someplace where I would would know no one except my very busy son. Looking back, I can see all the many changes God began in me through that move. Two years later, I moved out to California alone, and again can see many ways God used that adventure to change me. Moving here to Virginia hasn't even seemed to be a big deal, probably because I can see how faithful God was in my past circumstances. It makes me think that what makes change so difficult is not knowing if God will meet us in the new place. I do hope I can help others that are overwhelmed by changes they do not feel ready for, and over them support while they get used to the new place they find themselves in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marcella for your response. Changes can be hard but I think that you are right, knowing that God is faithful and that he will meet us, and walk with us very comforting and helps us embrace change a little bit better. I’m glad that over the years, you are now able to move where ever the Lord sends you with much more ease. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It is so true that change can be a scary process. I can only imagine the fear that our clients hold when coming into counseling. It is pretty scary to take that step and begin counseling but it is even more scary to have someone shake up your life and implement changes into daily routines or old habits. I loved how you said not all change is scary. I feel that that is a concept that we must stress to our clients. Not all changes in life have to be negative. We must show out clients all of the positive benefits associated with change!

    ReplyDelete