Monday, November 3, 2014

Change Agent


Caption: Change Agent
From: http://brandascension.com/wpcontent/uploads/2012/11/ChangeAgentBadge.jpg


After a careful reading of these three chapters, I realized that they are all important in the counseling session but the most to me is building a good therapeutic alliance. To have a successful counseling session, there has to be a foundation of an interview. In Chapter ten, Thomas and Sosin mentioned that the overarching purpose of a counseling interview is to help the counselee with his presenting concern (Thomas and Sosin, 2011, p 326). The role of the counselor in the interviewing process is to be an interviewer. Whiles in the process of interviewing, it is imperative for the counselor to use that avenue in building a therapeutic rapport with the client in order for an effective outcome. With my little knowledge of counseling in the past, I had always hated doing the initial intake especially writing out the psychosocial. This is because it took more time in doing this and also I realized that the client’s get very agitated with the numerous questions. As much as doing the initial assessment helped with the therapeutic alliance, I still preferred someone else to conduct this part of counseling. This chapter has brought to light a lot of things I didn't know before.
Chapter 11 brings up a new term called case conceptualization and it is also a coincidence that I’m learning about it this term in my other classes this semester. I am glad to read more about it in this chapter as well.  The book defines case conceptualization as the construction of a comprehensive explanation of a counselee and his issues.

Lastly, chapter 12 talks about bringing about change in the counseling process. According to Thomas and Sosin, the central role of the helper is being a change agent. This is really wonderful to know that it is my responsibility and my calling as a Christian counselor to bring about change in the individuals who walk through the counseling door. This reminds me of the quote “If it is to be, it is up to me”. As a counselor, I have the responsibility to help bring the change.

Reference 

Thomas, J.C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment