Wednesday, April 19, 2017

More Progress, Less Complaints



A topic of the text that caught my attention is the miracle question, which stems from the solution-focused therapy (Young, 2017). My past included many “Debbie the Downers,” so now I try to avoid people who are often upset. When I have no choice to be around someone who complains, I choose to be optimistic and hope it will influence them to be more positive. In congruence with the miracle question, I aim to focus on how things will get better for them and positivity that will result from their problems (Stith, Miller, Boyle, Swinton, & Ratcliffe, 2012). I believe if we show gratitude for what we have, we will attract more of the things we want. Hence, if we complain about what we do not like, we will attract more of what we do not want.
            I do not completely dismiss others’ feelings because I know people have some bad days, but I do not prefer to dwell on problems without ever attempting to seek a solution. Because I enjoy seeing people progress and overcome their challenges, I think the miracle question would be a great strategy for me to use with clients (Stith et al., 2012). It is meant to help the client move forward and toward the things they want (Strong & Pyle, 2009). Furthermore, it helps the client to concentrate on getting rid of the problem. I believe if you can see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. In other words, if the client can change their perspective, it will change their behavior. Also, once the client starts talking about how life would be different without the challenge, it helps them realize how possible it is to change how they respond and interact with others even with the problem being present.

Stith, S. M., Miller, M. S., Boyle, J., Swinton, J., & Ratcliffe, G. (2012). Making a 
            difference in making miracles: Common roadblocks to miracle question 
            effectiveness. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 38(2), 380-393.
Strong, T., & Pyle, N. R. (2009). Constructing a conversational “miracle”: Examining 
             the “miracle question” as it is used in therapeutic dialogue. Journal of 
             Constructivist Psychology, 22(4), 328-353.
Young, M. E. (2017). Learning the art of helping: Building blocks and techniques (6th

ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson. 

3 comments:

  1. Quinn,

    The miracle question, which is a component of solution-focused therapy, is a very interesting technique to use with clients. Through the use of the miracle question, the client is able to see things from a different perspective. When the client views their situation through a more positive lens, they will have a more optimistic outlook. I agree with you that we should not simply dismiss other people’s feelings, but we can help them see things in a different light that they may not have considered before. I think the key component like you stated, is not to dwell on problems, but instead to look for an attainable solution in order to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your perspective on the solution-focused technique. It is more optimistic by nature, allowing the client to focus on how they would like to see things. I think this is a great technique that can bring clients into awareness of what they want to do to achieve "their miracle." I think where this technique might cause conflict is if someones miracle is not reasonable. I think that even in this case the counselor can help the client identify where the client is finding value and create reasonable steps to achieve this behavior. For example, if the clients miracle reality was to be rich we could say that they value being financially secure, and disciplined with money. We cannot make them rich in five sessions, but with these values maybe we can help them better their budget, how they save, and so on. We can educate ourselves on resources that might be helpful for them. Overall I like the approach and believe it helps clients identify and move forward in their situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Quinn,

    Thanks for your post. The miracle question is an effective tool to help others not focus on the problem, but instead focus on the solution. It offers the client a different perspective and give them hope. The best part is the miracle comes from the client and not anyone else. The timing has to be right. Sometimes what may sound like complaining is another way of externalizing and not bottling the feeling. This might be in the event of trauma. There are times when the person is incapable of imagining the miracle because they are unable to look beyond their current focus.
    I know for me the miracle question helps me to focus on a brighter future.

    ReplyDelete