Friday, April 14, 2017

Can You Keep a Secret?



Caption: Padlock, Gate, Locked, Private

URL: https://pixabay.com/en/padlock-gate-locked-private-219689/


I consider myself to be a private person and others often confuse this with being secretive. I am more open than secretive, but am able to keep another person's secret to myself. There is a section of chapter six that covers secrets, which I found really interesting (Young, 2017). As a counselor, it is imperative to be able to keep someone's information confidential. Some clients will reveal their deepest secrets with their therapist because it is the only person they know who will not judge or expose them. Yet, those of Korean culture feel opposite and do not disclose with individuals who have authority (Han & O’Brien, 2014). It is shown that such disclosure actually builds the relationship between therapist and client (Kelly & Yuan, 2009). Furthermore, it is important for the counselor to encourage the client to dig deep because it will help the client eliminate their symptoms (Young, 2017). There is a saying used among Alcoholics Anonymous members that "you are only as sick as your darkest secret" (Young, 2017, p. 127). It implies that the more you keep things inside, the more difficult it is to cope with one's illness. We must reveal the things about ourselves that we are not proud of, because facing our shortcomings will help us grow from them (Young, 2017). The book expresses more reasons why being open is beneficial. It says that telling others can help the person develop a new perspective and motivate them to change if they value other’s opinions (Young, 2017). It is relieving to learn about such benefits while living in a world where so many people are told to keep their business personal to "save face.” I think I could use this information to teach my clients why it is helpful to be open in counseling. 

Han, Y. J., & O’Brien, K. M. (2014). Critical secret disclosure in psychotherapy with 

            Korean clients. The Counseling Psychologist, 42(4), 524-551.

Kelly, A.E., & Yuan, K. (2009). Clients’ secret keeping and the working alliance in adult

outpatient therapy. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 46(2), 

193-202.

Young, M. E. (2017). Learning the art of helping: Building blocks and techniques (6th

ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson. 

2 comments:

  1. Confidentiality and keeping clients’ secrets is definitely a sensitive issue. In my own perspective, I believe someone must earn my trust before I tell them any sort of secret or information I consider more personal. Until that time comes, I will not disclose anything along those lines. On a different note but similar concept, there are times I do not share things with others because I simply do not think about them. To me, they are already second-nature because I know myself, and I do not regularly talk about what is going on in my life unless someone asks. It is due to both of these facts about myself that I understand both sides of clients’ thoughts concerning sharing vs. not sharing. As we continue through our program, I look forward to learning more about building trust in counselor-client relationships to promote that sharing of experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    I admire that you make others earn your trust before you begin to open up about things that are personal. In undergrad, I was told by different people that I was like an "open book" and it made me think about what that actually meant. I got tired of people being so comfortable with me and feeling like they knew everything about me. I later realized it was because I was telling them everything. Eventually, I got older and was not as naive anymore. Also, some people used some things I told them against me and it made me become a more private and cautious person. I only tell what I do not mind being repeated and I think more before I speak.

    ReplyDelete