Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Self care



Image: Garrett Thurman


In this past month I have learned a lot about self care, and way too much about what happens what when I neglect it. Between several jobs, school, and stresses at home, I have been exhausted for a while now. Typically, I remain fairly healthy and take care of myself well, even in busy times. I think generally I know what I need to do in order to take care of myself well, but those things have fallen onto the back burner. A result of this self neglect has been a decrease in how well I am able to perform all of the responsibilities I have devoted so much time to. Going into counseling, this is something that I really will need to manage well.  I have found that I am bad at saying no to other people that need my help, despite the fact that I have sacrificed the time I need for self care. This has been a concern of mine going into the field, but I did not think I would be experiencing it at this point. All that being said, I think this will be an important part of my journey to becoming a counselor and I am thankful that I have the chance to figure out how to manage self care and other responsibilities before I begin my work in the field.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Garret, such a true post! As counselors it is essential we take care of ourselves mentally, physically and spiritually. As many of us going into this field experience it is in many of our nature to help people. While on the surface this is a great quality it can lead to being overwhelmed thought that process. However, there is no better time to learn this lesson then now while we are still in the program so that when we get out there we are ready and able to help our counselees and maintain a healthy lifestyle outside of our career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for sure. I am thankful to be learning this lesson now even though it truly sucks in the moment. Really, I have been aware that this might be a struggle for me for a long time. I have a hard time saying no to people I care about even at my own expense, and it has truly taken a toll on me. I am learning that some things are out of my control to fix and how important it is for me to take care of myself first so that I can take care of others.

      Delete
  2. Garret, thanks for sharing this post with some vulnerability. It is so true that self care is an important part of being a counselor. We are in constant contact with others emotions and feelings, and it can take a toll on us. Know that you are not alone in managing self care. Counselors, a lot of times, are looked at as people who have it all together. We are all still human though and must go through things just like others. I would like to encourage you, because I think the first step to being a good self caring counselor is awareness, which is what you are showing through this post. I have no doubt that you are well on your way to becoming a self-aware and reflective counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrett, thank you for sharing! This is quite convicting since I struggle with taking on too many responsibilities. This is a good time for us emerging counselors to practice self-care while balancing school, work, families, and friends--and all the responsibilities that come this those. I agree with Khal that being aware of this struggle is the first step to doing something about it. We must all be aware of our needs and be able to detect early on when we may be nearing burn-out. Thank you for your vulnerability, and you are certainly not alone!

    ReplyDelete