Monday, February 13, 2017

Culture Check

Caption: Identity, Self, Self Image
URL: https://pixabay.com/en/identity-self-self-image-801212/


Five, four, three, two, one, … BREATHE…

I repeat this to myself as I embark on this journey of becoming a counselor. After reading a few chapters Young’s text, “Learning the Art of Helping,” I am reminded that becoming a competent counselor is a seemingly long and grueling process. It involves acquiring an array of skills that may prove challenging and oftentimes uncomfortable to the beginner counselor such as myself.

At the beginning of the counseling program the picture in my mind was of a counselor on a chair listening while the client lay on the sofa. My goal was to learn all I could to become that counselor learning how to help those who are hurting emotionally and spiritually. Perhaps this was a little naïve. In fact, “One of the biggest distractions is the need to help…to ease the client’s pain, help him or her decide upon a course of action, and create a change” (Young, 2017, pg. 62).

What an eye-opening experience! Even more so when faced with the multicultural dimensions of both the client and the counselor. Acknowledging the impact of culture opens multiple avenues to whole new worlds for the therapist with many clients. It creates a bridge which cultivates understanding, lessens misinterpretation and fosters respect. In the words of Ice Cube “you better check yo self before you wreck yo self.” A reminder to do that check so harm is not done to the self or the client. “Culture check” may just be a tool for “those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, [to] put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience (Colossians 3:12).

The more I learn, the more I am wary of making mistakes or causing irreparable damage. Many doubts assail my mind as I pause to reflect on the counseling skills and techniques required to become competent. Yet I find comfort in the lessons provided by Young and his insistence that ‘becoming’ is a journey.  

References
Lee, C. C. (2008). Elements of culturally competent counseling. Professional Counseling Digest, 24. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.

Young, M. E. (2017). Learning the art of helping: Building blocks and techniques. Boston: Pearson.

2 comments:

  1. Patrice,
    Thank you for your thoughts in this blog post! I agree with you that my preconceived notions of the counseling process were so vastly different from reality, and I am having to stop myself from wanting to "help" or "fix" people. And I enjoy hearing Ice Cube's advice--it is quite hilarious and true! I am encouraged by knowing that I am not the only counseling student who has shared these sentiments and by knowing that there is yet so much more to learn.

    Thanks again for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keaglan,

      I am also encouraged to know I'm not alone on this journey :). We can reminisce on different songs that give us wise advise so that we don't try to 'fix' or 'help' but rather walk alongside the client. Learning restraint, wisdom, and pressing into the discomfort of this process is intense.

      It is very similar the the reminder that we ought to renew our minds daily.

      Thank you for choosing to share the journey.

      Delete