Monday, February 13, 2017

Characteristics of A Helper

Germany, Duisburg, Tiger, Turtle, Art

Caption: Germany, Duisburg, Tiger, Turtle
URL: https://pixabay.com/en/photos/?q=culture&image_type=&cat=&min_width=&min_height=


            It is interesting and helpful to evaluate what characteristics one does and does not possess to work in the helping profession (Young, 2017). Some of them are natural for me while I am learning to develop others through this program.

Overall, I am optimistic, but I learned it is possible to be too optimistic and simply unrealistic. In the past, I would invest time, energy, and money into others because I saw their potential. However, some people who do not want to change could unintentionally drain you. This is where one must engage in self-care because if there is no balance, burnout can occur (Wardle & Mayorga, 2016).

            I feel mentally healthy, but my sisters say I overexert myself. Sometimes I commit to more responsibility than I should, which causes me to feel overwhelmed often. They also said I annoyed them as a child because I asked too many questions. I am curious in the human thought process and it has always been difficult to hide my curiosity.

            Various cultures and traditions also intrigue me. In high school, I used my elective courses to learn about different religions opposed to taking more relaxing classes. A person’s language, clothing attire, and personal values are all inspired by the region of the world they are born. Therefore, when I meet someone who sounds, looks, or thinks differently than myself, I am reminded how big the world and my God is!

            Another characteristic includes the counselor’s ability to acknowledge and seek assistance for one’s own problems (Young, 2017). I love that the counseling profession encourages us to have our own personal counselor (Mayorga, Devries, & Wardle, 2015). I have participated in counseling before and feel it is even more critical now as a developing counselor.


References:
Mayorga, M. G., Devries, S. R., & Wardle, E. A. (2015). The practice of self-care among counseling students. i-Manager’s Journal on Educational Psychology, 8(3), 21-28.

Wardle, E. A. & Mayorga, M. G. (2016). Burnout among the counseling profession: A survey of future professional counselors. i-Manager’s Journal on Educational Psychology, 10(1), 9-15.

Young, M. E. (2017). Learning the art of helping: Building blocks and techniques (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Quinn I enjoyed reading your blog. You had many perspectives on the counselor's role that I found intriguing. I agree with you concerning the importance of self-evaluation. If we don't know what we have, how can we know what we can work on. I do agree to the fact that like doctors, counselors are not meant to be perfect. However, with the mindset of being learners, we know that our skills attained are perfected and developed as we continue to use them. Yes, as we go on in our profession, we do not necessarily hold on to unrealistic expectations but develop a hope in the knowledge that we are not fixers but helpers. This, like you pointed out, can be draining; burn-out is real and hence, we must take self-care measures to prevent it. This includes going for counseling sessions and working on one's own challenges before stretching out a helping hand to others. Each and every one of us is unique, and It is amazing to observe the differences in many people; culture, educational background, nationality and so on. Indeed, we are all unique and as counselors we are placed in a position of opportunity to experience many cultures through the eyes of our diverse clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, self-evaluation is key as a counselor, so we can understand our strengths and weaknesses. Everyone has room for improvement and a person should want to continuously grow in their personal and professional lives. Self-care is an area that I must give more attention to as a developing counselor and mother, and I value how our profession places much emphasis on its importance. I love that someone cares about my well-being because I feel as a student, we may often neglect ourselves. I agree with you that we will be introduced to individuals from all walks of life and I am excited to interact with every one of them. I do not think counseling could ever get boring for me!

      Delete