Saturday, August 30, 2014

Becoming a Counselor

Saturday, August 30, 2014





“There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still.” -Corrie ten Boom



Caption: Ken Rockwell's (photographer) image of Oceanside Harbor, Oceanside, CA March 2012

The Thomas and Sosin (2011), text has encouraged and stimulated me to consider how to grow through this journey. It has confirmed to me that God has called me to this adventure and that He will equip me to fulfill this challenge as I walk with Him. I became a Christian almost 36 years ago, and from that time He has been molding me and changing me. I know I still have many areas in which to change and grow, but I am confident that He that called is faithful, and He will bring this to pass (1 Thess. 5:24, KJV). I have experienced much brokenness in my own life and remember a time not too long ago when I believed my life and heart was so shattered I could never again be whole. But God held onto me until I could begin again to follow Him, and He has given me a life better than I could have imagined. I have had the help of some very good counselors, and also have experienced some that could have used more training, and both have helped me to consider what type of counselor I want to be. I hope to be able to offer a safe place for people in various states of brokenness, to find the healing God has for them. I am very aware that I cannot heal anybody. I cannot fix anybody, I cannot solve their problems, and they do not need my advice! What they need is acceptance, unconditional love, encouragement, self-awareness, hope, and support. I also am aware that my “mothering instinct” is very strong, and has to be moderated. Even with my own adult children, I have been learning not to be quick to rescue them or offer advice, but to encourage them that they are more than able to face their challenges.
Reference

2 comments:

  1. Marcella, as Christian counselors we will always be growing and evolving throughout our spiritual journey. I at times wonder if counseling is really my calling but I know God placed me in this time and space for a reason and there is someone out there that needs a helping hand. I respect that you acknowledge a problem and are making steps to handle things differently (referring to your motherly instinct). We all have walked different journeys and experienced different things throughout our lives. It's a blessing that we are able to use those experiences and situations to further help someone during a touch time through their life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcella, a counselor you will encounter clients who will challenge you especially when dealing with the substance abuse population. i have had client's tell me that i do not know what it is to be an addict so i cannnot help them. what i'm trying to say is that your own brokenness will help you in the future when working with clients who have been in similar situations. Through the pain/brokenness comes compassion and empathy and these are vital tools for every counselor.

    ReplyDelete