Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Clear Reflection

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope (Romans 15:13, ESV).

Caption: A Clear Reflection in Zigong, China
Photographer: Myself
As I read through chapters 1-3 of Thomas and Sosin (2011) I was hit with the need to be so in tune with the Spirit as we journey with clients through the counseling process. There is a need to learn techniques and theories, which is crucial, but these are able to be gained and a level of proficiency reached with much hard work—this is the comfortable aspect of the learning process. However, the realization that there is much left to the discretion of the counselor makes me feel, at times, inadequate and brings up my own insecurities. As a new, young counselor (in the making), it is intimidating to follow my own impulses paired with my minimal experience. What really struck me as I was reading these chapters was the advantage we have, as believers pursuing the role of counselor. We have the Spirit which we are called to walk in. While the technical knowledge is necessary, it is equally necessary to be walking in the Spirit in order that we ourselves can be guided as we guide our clients. As we become more in tune with the leading of the Spirit, we will grow in our awareness of how to best demonstrate hope to the client. I loved when Thomas and Sosin (2011) referred to counseling as being “created at the intersection of two subjective human beings” (p. 57) and also when they spoke of the ability for the counselor to reflect the hope of Christ through grace given to the client in relationship with the counselor (p. 43). As believers called to bring hope to a broken world, I can think of no better way to do so then being a clear reflection of Jesus in the midst of much suffering and pain.

Reference
Thomas, J. C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group.

2 comments:

  1. Deb,
    I can completely identify with your fears and insecurities. However, you post has genuinely encouraged me. The last few days I have been feeling so overwhelmed by the reality of being a counselor. While we may master a certain content area intellectually, I genuinely believe you are 100% correct in that we must rely on the Holy Spirit. In complete and utter honesty, pursuing counseling scares me to death. The reality and seriousness the role and responsibility of a counselor holds is so incredibly significant. I desire nothing more than to impact souls for Christ... but then I look at my own life and it is so incredibly easy to second guess the direction God is calling me to. While I firmly believe the Lord has directed my steps and has provided me the ability to make it thus far... it is so easy for the human side of me to doubt. It is that same doubt that kept me from surrendering to the Lord. However, I know that our God is not a God of confusion. I know that I when He calls us to do something, He equips us to complete what He puts before us. I know all of this intellectually, but it is so hard at times to fully believe this and act upon it. I fully agree with you that we are so desperately in need of the Holy Spirit's discernment and direction. Ultimately, as this books has discussed thus far -- it doesn't matter how many processes we understand and have mastered, nor our ultimate good human intentions, what matters is our obedience to the Holy Spirit's direction. I fully confess that without the Holy Spirit working in and through my own life, I am hopeless. Therefore, counseling without the Holy Spirit's discernment and wisdom my future counseling is also hopeless.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace,
    Thanks for your honesty! I'm feeling the exact same way about the overwhelming amount to "master" as we go through classes, practicums and internships and then eventually practicing. It seems like such a daunting task before us but I believe that this is where the Lord works best. In the times when we feel the weakest and in the most inadequate, He is able to work through us. By walking in that truth, we are giving Him all the glory for the things we know we could not do on our own limited abilities. I'm looking forward to reflecting back over the journey and testifying to His goodness and faithfulness even if right now it feels like such a mountain! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete