Monday, December 1, 2014

Growth of Professionals







Retrieved from: https://www.google.com/search?q=images+representing+growth&biw=1217&bih=698&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=a0R9VM_RONH-sATr3ICIAw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=images+of+plant+growth&facrc=_&imgdii=AZxk1UXTesZbXM%3A%3Bj2QF374WfG5JwM%3BAZxk1UXTesZbXM%3A&imgrc=AZxk1UXTesZbXM%253A%3B7o6asWEiOr4uoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fshare.ez.no%252Fvar%252Fcommunity%252Fstorage%252Fimages%252Fmedia%252Fimages%252Fyoung-plant%252F669372-1-eng-GB%252Fyoung-plant_large.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpixgood.com%252Fstages-of-plant-growth-from-seed.html%3B416%3B273
Growth of Professionals

As counselors, it is important, expected, and required for counselors to grow professionally (Thomas & Sosin, 2011). Continuing education is required by most state boards to expand knowledge of counselors and also to keep up with recent research. Supervision is also a key element to every counselor's growth and journey towards self-awareness. Thoms & Sosin (2011) warn, "Allowing fear of scrutiny, performance anxiety, or pride to interfere with your ability to benefit from your experiences is self-defeating. Take ownership of your supervision and approach it as a treasured gift from a second professional" (p. 477). This is advice that I long to take to heart and implement in my own practice & life. Taking constructive criticism has always been challenging for me. My sensitivity and timidly comes mainly from my relationship with my father. He was abusive verbally and physically. I was used to not being my own person. All I knew growing up was that whatever met my dad's approval was acceptable, and therefore a desirable goal for me. My self-esteem was dependent on my father. After leaving the home for college, I quickly learned that I did not have to remain a victim of my father. I learned I was able to take responsibility for my own actions. I learned that being myself, outside of the shadow of my father was good. I learned that mistakes are okay and a normal part of everyday life. The list goes on and on. All of this to say, taking ownership and taking constructive criticism is necessary not only as a counselor, but as an adult. While this process can be so painful, I recognize how life-giving feedback can be. There is a significant difference between criticism and constructive criticism. Supervision is an excellent tool for all counselors.


Reference
Thomas, J. C. & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment