Monday, December 1, 2014

LIfe-long Learner


Photographer: Myself
Sunday afternoon in my hammock 

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” –Gandhi

Thomas and Sosin used the last chapters of the textbook to help the reader understand the principle of that learning is a lifelong process. This is not a foreign concept within the counseling profession due to the mandated ethic code of continuing education each year, yet the principle goes far beyond a few hours in seminars each year. A counselor must become familiar with the notion of being a student pursuing knowledge in order to maintain a humble posture within the profession. This will help the counselor put the client in the place of an expert in their own lives.

Chapter 13 offered practical tips on how to use humor and metaphors within counseling sessions. I particularly enjoyed the mention of humor. This helps put life into perspective and give freedom for the client and counselor to professionally enjoy time together. Chapter 14 brought a spiritual component to counseling. This was a good reminder on how to respectful address matters in the client’s life in ways that they are comfortable with. It is going to be difficult to refrain from imposing my beliefs, yet I am confident that the Lord will assist me in proclaiming His glory through being professional and competent in my career. Lastly Chapter 15 provides information on ethic, record keeping, diversity, and growing within the profession.

This text left me encouraged and inspired to continue learning all I can in order to become the best counselor I can be.



Thomas, J. C., & Sosin, L. (2011). Therapeutic expedition: Equipping the Christian counselor for the journey. B&H Publishing.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Jordan! I enjoyed reading your post because I also read and focused on the concept of being a lifelong learner. I totally agree with you in that this is not a foreign concept and is talked about it a lot. When I first decided that I wanted to go to graduate school for counseling, that was something that almost held me back. Until I started learning about the process of becoming a counselor and I saw the value in being a lifelong leaner. Through the journey so far, I have began appreciating learning in many different ways. Not only in becoming a better counselor, but in other areas including my spiritual life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete